Friday, September 11, 2009

While we waited for the rain to go away

Today felt like a lost day. Victor and I had tickets for the US Open women's semifinal match, but due to the weather all matches were cancelled. The frustration came as the organizers kept postponing the game every 30 minutes, asking everyone to wait until the sessions were officially canceled. I guess they just wanted us to spend our money on beer and burgers, while we patiently stood under the rain.

I like to think that everything happens for a reason, and as a result of our frustrated plan we went to the Queens Museum of Art. It was almost five years ago when I was invited to present a video installation at their biennial exhibition. My art piece consisted of 4 monitors that simultaneously showed the lives of 4 immigrants from different countries (China, Mexico, Cyprus and Serbia Montenegro), and their relationship with their new home in New York. Back then I used to work around the concept of belonging to a place, and which elements constitute the idea of home. After 7 years in New York it is my home; this is the city where I chose to be, and the place where I learned to survive by myself. Now is time to find a new subject for my art, a new inspiration that will influence my work.

No comments: