Thursday, September 24, 2009

I got the writer’s block. Again. Words are not flowing the way they should; I’ve been quiet as I keep trying to resolve too many things, too many stupid pieces to unscramble: my hair is a mess, most of my shoes need repair, my check account is drying, my savings account is dying, my debt on credit cards is growing, I have cellulite for sitting down all day, I still can’t make enough time for exercising, my bedroom is cramped with my boyfriend’s suitcases and my Netflix movie has been sitting down on top of my desk for almost two months.

Diego is staying with us (and will be staying for at least one month), bringing to our home all his creativity, colors and ideas. Listening to his stories about living in a diversity of places in the last few months has been refreshing for everyone in the house. After his heart was broken almost a year ago he moved to Baja, where he spent his days living in a hut by the sea. During this time, he had no harder task than peeling a grapefruit each morning, after which he was free to do whatever he pleased. For most New Yorkers spending their days doing nothing, without a plan in their calendars (even during the weekends) represents an impossible dream. After Diego shared the story about the grapefruit, everyone in the living room remained quiet, wishing to have the nerve to leave everything behind; at least for a month (or a day).

3 comments:

Claire Frisbie said...

i learned an amazing way to peel a grapefruit in a knife skills class last week ...what i would give to spend day after day in a hut by the ocean perfecting that skill. sigh.

Anonymous said...

It is a strange coincidence that yesterday at lunch time I was having a conversation with some colleagues at work and we were discussing the idea that most of the people have the need of planning everything in their lives, there is no room for spontaneous things at all.... we are afraid of moving on, trying different things (at least I think that for a mathematician mind like mine it is even harder to let it flow and trusting my instincts instead of my brain). Sometimes I would like to quit my job, stop thinking about finance and economy and taking time instead for writting, playing guitar and traveling around the world...

larguisisimoetcetera said...

aquí ando de nuevo.
atrás de mi café con avena, plátanos y manzanas adentro de mi estómago.
Salí a correr, respiré todo el río que pude.
Leí tu post :) y me sentí especial! jeje gracias por hacerme sentir en casita.