Wednesday, December 23, 2009

while you read...

Victor is reading his book about Mexican caudillo and revolutionary Pancho Villa. He laughs, stops reading and mention that he is comparing this book to Sun Tzu's Art of War. I oppose war, but I have to admit that Master Tzu's teachings are amazingly useful. While he reads I play with my iPod shuffle, hoping the variety in music will provide me with enough ideas and inspiration to write. As I do so, Oscar arrives. We take a minute to discuss his day, Argentinean food and good news from Carlos, someone he dated last year. Dating for gay men seems as complicated as it is for heterosexual women. It's not hard to hook-up with someone, but it's hard to keep it going, not to mention to transform dating into a real relationship. My iPod jumps to a Coldcut podcast that uses Black Uhuru's dub as a sample. The last time I heard this track Capuchi and I were driving from San Diego to Tijuana on his family's purple van. This was about four years ago, and the only time I've crossed the US-Mexico border. I was surprised about how you can actually travel to Mexico without getting questioned. By definition, crossing a border on a purple passenger van without showing my passport makes me feel suspicious, and dub, as a perfect soundtrack, reinforced the feeling. Victor continues to laugh to his book, and TV sounds come from Oscar's bedroom. I'm cold, so I'm wearing a colorful Peruvian hat I brought from my last trip to Machu Picchu. I'm 31, and I feel glad that I can still afford to enjoy weekday nights listening to music, drinking Riesling and having a lover/boyfriend without having to look glamourous.

3 comments:

Marte M. said...

:)

- kiwi

Anonymous said...

Je ne suis pas du tout d’accord. Je me souviens bien du jour dont on s’est connu. C’etait, dans une conférence chez CUNY, t’avait un sort de pull-over rouge et tu soutenais une caméra qui enregistrait tout. L’après-midi dont t’avais acheté tes botes plastiques en couleur jeune chez Urban Outfitters, peut être deux ans après, là t’avais une sourire particulière, du même niveau du manteau blanc qui traversa avec toi la Rue de Rennes au coin du boulevard Raspail. Voilà mes évidences pour appuyer ma thèse contraire à la tienne ; le jour que tu ne sois pas avec du glamour autour de toi, il faudra que tu cherches pour un autre nom.

juanmapu said...

Justo ahora ando con el Tao Te Ching. Yes, Tzu es inmenso.

Un saludo.