Sunday, July 6, 2008

My cousin Pepe arrived last night and he will start his official life in New York tomorrow.  I don't know how much time it will take him to feel/become a New Yorker; it took me 3 years (and 6 years to buy a proper bed).  How long it takes before you deserve to claim a city your own?
Today we walked on streets I haven't seen before, east of Chinatown and south of Lower East Side.  Clotheslines hanging from the windows, stinky garbage cans and children with braided hair reminded me of the New York I came looking for. I live in the Greek neighborhood where Orthodox churches burn incense on Sunday mornings and old men gather in coffee shops for long hours.
Laura, Pepe, Brandon and me are listening to Nouvelle Vague in the living room before going to bed. I enjoy having a full house after months of being alone.

(Gracias por el comment Carola. He enviado el anuncio por facebook y aun no estas ahi, pero me alegra mucho que hayas llegado).

No comments: